Monday, August 13, 2012

zucchini cherry bundt // date glaze

zucchini cherry bundt // date glaze
for those of you with a garden or a neighbor who grows zucchini and secretly leaves a few a week on your doorstep, there is always the challenge of finding new and creative ways of enjoying the quickly growing veggie. of course there is the classic zucchini bread with or without chocolate, sauteed zucchini and stuffed zucchini.
i was in the mood for a bundt cake and i just happened to have some local cherries on hand. i thought why not? zucchini and cherries, that sounded pretty good.
 topped off with a simple date glaze and i was in business .

zucchini cherry bundt // date glaze
cherries, romanesco zucchini  - a new heirloom variety that tried out this year and loved & dates - simple flavors of an amazing cake.
zucchini cherry bundt // date glazezucchini cherry bundt // date glaze
zucchini cherry bundt // date glaze
recently, i have been exploring baking with less sugar - or rather attempting you utilize different forms of natural, less processed  sweeteners. my favorite two have been dates & coconut sugar.
zucchini cherry bundt // date glazezucchini cherry bundt // date glaze
zucchini cherry bundt // date glaze
in addition to the dates and applesauce, the cherries give an extra little pop of sweetness. the zucchini makes this cake super moist and the cinnamon adds warmth to the overall cake.
zucchini cherry bundt // date glaze
this cake is totally acceptable for a quick breakfast treat.
zucchini cherry bundt // date glazezucchini cherry bundt // date glaze
zucchini cherry bundt // date glaze
the glaze is super simple to make - soaked dates, coconut oil, maple syrup and a splash of water.
this glaze is perfect for this cake and would also be an excellent topping for cupcakes when you are looking for a little less of a sugary frosting.
zucchini cherry bundt // date glazezucchini cherry bundt // date glaze
zucchini cherry bundt // date glaze
i really enjoyed everything about this cake - the best part is you barely even notice the zucchini , it really is pretty neutral and does a fantastic job of adding moisture without a lot of added fat.
i hope you enjoy this cake with 10 times over - cause if you grow zucchini that's probably the number of time you will be making this.
zucchini cherry bundt // date glaze
zucchini cherry bundt ~ date glaze
makes 1 standard bundt cake

you will need:

for the cake
2 cups spelt flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

10 dates, pitted and soaked
1/2 cup applesauce
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup coconut oil- softened
1/2 cup + 1/3 cup cold water

1 small zucchini finely shredded, about 2 cups
1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and sliced in half

for the glaze
6 dates, soaked & pitted
2 tsp coconut oil
1/4 cup cold water
2 tsp maple syrup

assembly:
pre heat oven 350*

grease a standard bundt pan with coconut oil and lightly dust with spelt flour

in a medium bowl combine all dry ingredients, set aside

in a food processor, with an s blade process the dates until well blended. add apple sauce and process until smooth. add the date mixture apple cider vinegar, softened coconut oil & cold water - mix until just combined. add shredded zucchini and mix until well combined - gently stir in cherries.

pour mixture into prepared bundt pan - bake in pre heated oven for 30- 35 minutes or until a wooden skewers comes out clean when tested in the center of the cake. remove from oven and allow to fully cool in pan on a wire rack before inverting onto a serving plate.

while the cake is cooling prepare date glaze - in a food processor, process all ingredients for the glaze until desired consistency is reached. once the cake has cooled, generously spread the date glaze over the top of the fully cooled bundt cake.

enjoy!








Yum

31 comments:

  1. Sometimes when I flip a pancake–ahem, often–it tears or oozes so much that a bit of batter comes through on the cooked side. If so,once the second side is done, I’ll flip it back for 10 seconds or so, until that excess batter gets cooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! And I wish I had a neighbor leaving veggies on my doorstep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well....if you moved back to NH you would probably have one on each side of you :)

      Delete
  3. oh you and your drop dead gorgeous cakes... this one looks especially delicious! i love how lightly it's sweetened. DEFINITELY acceptable for breakfast ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww you say the sweetest things! I too love how light it is, I loved this for my mid morning snack!

      Delete
  4. Yes to zucchini. Yes to bundt cakes. Yes to cherries. YES, YES, YES.

    PS - how does one go about finding a neighbor that leave vegetables on their doorstep? I need one of those, stat. But it probably means I have to move outside the concrete jungle, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES!

      How to get a neighbor to leave you zucchini:
      a. move to NH
      b. find neighbor in close proximity of your house
      c. bake said neighbor loads of goodies to butter them up before the summer growing season, leaving subtle hints about how much you love fresh veggies

      Delete
  5. OOoh, as you know I am a big fan of your food stylin! Date glaze...is just the icing on the cake ;) Wow this looks great, but most of my neighbors are recluses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gigi! haha i think you need to find new neighbors or bake them more treats :)

      Delete
  6. That glaze looks so sticky and delicious! What a yummy looking cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh... nice neighbors!:)i live in downtown, so definitely no luck with the zuke produce... though i did plant some in my patch.. right now eating a lot of spinach and kale from the patch already!
    That is one gorgeous bundt and i love the date glaze and low sugar content!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I am that neighbor :) I cannot believe how awesome your little balcony garden did this year - I bet you could find a smaller growing zuke and trellis it for next year!

      Delete
  8. Love the date glaze! Great idea :) Love that you used cherries in the bundt cake. I still cannot stop eating cherries. I'll be sooo bummed when cherry season is over :( I have a ton of zucchini to use up from my friend's garden. Thanks for the awesome idea! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Court! The cherries were so perfect, it was definitely one of the many highlights of the cake :) I cannot believe how HUGE that zuke was that you picked, crazy!

      Delete
  9. A sticky gooey and sugary taste my friend with a perfect glaze! :D

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness Heather, this looks so decadent but the ingredients are so healthy! How do you do it?

    P.S. So luck to have neighbours that bestow gifts in the form of produce on your front step. I wish I was so lucky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks Gabby - you are pretty darn amazing yourself!

      Hahha i am the nieghbor that is blessed with a garden - if I don't say so myself they are pretty lucky :)

      Delete
  11. Your cake looks divine. I usually think of zucchini cakes as somewhat boring; yours is anything, but!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gerlinde - mee too, thats totally why the Cherries and dates came into play, I had to spice it up somehow :)

      Delete
  12. I have a coworker who brings in giant zucchinis and other veggies and herbs from her garden...I'm still working on that one zucchini even though I've already made so many dishes with it! I love your idea of combining zucchini with cherries for a cake - that sounds perfect! Also a bonus that there's no added sugar...I love cakes that I can eat for breakfast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those kind of coworkers the BEST- I have one that brings me in fresh asparagus in the Spring!

      Delete
  13. Zucchini and cherries sound perfect together! I also really love how you filled in the bundt cake hole with fruit - great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boring just looked so borning, so BAM! Cherries :)

      Delete
  14. Geez Louise! I absolutely love your gorgeous cakes- this one is so drool-worthy! I've also been experimenting with other forms of sugar lately- I haven't touched my regular sugar in months! I too have been really digging the coconut sugar and dates.

    Awesome recipe, Heather! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy! Funny that you say that, I hadn't realzed how long its been since I have pulled out my standard sugar- pretty cool Huh!

      Delete
  15. what a creative recipe! i love the addition of zucchini! it's such a sneaky lil veggie :) haha gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! Thanks for stopping by Caralyn , have a great weekend :)

      Delete
  16. I love this recipe -- so new and different, but would I be able to substitute anything for the dates?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie!

      Thanks for stopping by, I am so happy that you like the recipe :)

      I would try subbing in 2 medium very ripe banana's in place of the dates and reduce the water to 1/2 cup and see where the consistency is, you may or may not need to add the additional 1/3 cup of water. I have not tried it this way, but let me know if you do and how it works for you!

      If you are looking for a replacement for the date glaze, you could really sub in any of your favorite standard glazes - a maple or standard vanilla would compliment the cake well - it might be nice to blend in some cherries into the glaze too!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by - your comments make my day!